The Quarantine Postings: Opus News, Resources and Hello
Today, April 6, we enter New York State’s third week of official lockdown, though for many of us the quarantine has been longer. This time involves hardships ranging from loneliness to grief, so we would like to begin this post with our hope that we can all hold this difficult time together and be present for one another’s experiences.
Toward this end, we hope that Opus-Online can offer our audiences and friends connection and a sense that this moment of crisis is part of a larger narrative in which our human endeavor can and does still shine. We see you, healthcare workers and first responders, mailpersons and grocery store or pharmacy workers, and we hope to honor your remarkable courage and heroism with the sharing of creativity and art.
Here is a quote for the day from Pema Chodron…on our endless handwashing:
Water flows over these hands.
May I use them skillfully
to preserve our precious planet.
If any readers want to share news or ideas or art resources, ask questions or offer opinions, please reach out to email@example.com.
We will be with you, right here, throughout. Thank you, Caroline Crumpacker, Executive Director of Opus 40
Resource Roundup #2
Shout Out To:
- An update on the great work by our friends at Processional Arts Workshop’s making masks for healthcare workers. They have already delivered more than 250 face shields and 20 cotton masks to two overwhelmed Bronx hospitals. Check them out HERE.
- Applestone Meats has 24/7 vending machines with local meat and very thorough COVID-19 policies. They also have great recipes online HERE.
- Dutchess Responds has great programs for local families HERE.
- Ulster County’s Project Resilience has already delivered more than 10,000 meals to those in need. Thank you to our participating Saugerstock businesses such as Bread Alone, Sunflower Market, Provisions Woodstock,Mudd Puddle Cafe, Nana’s Creative Cafe, Garden Cafe, Hudson Valley Desert Company, The Avenue Steak Tavern, Maria’s Bazaar, Stone Pony, Rock Da Casbah, R&R Taproom. You all deserve our thanks and our business.
- Good Fight Herb Company in Hudson has some great immune-boosting tonics and sliding scale online classes on medicinal herbs.
Practical Information & Grant Information etc:
- Project Resilience, all kinds of resources for Ulster County residents in need HERE
- The SBA has a range of disaster relief loans HERE.
- Hudson Valley Store policies HERE.
- The New York Foundation for the Arts has partnered with the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation to administer a new medical emergency grant program HERE.
- Emergency Grants from The Max’s Kansas City Project HERE.
Ideas from Around the InterWebs:
- The New York Philharmonic plays Ravel’s Bolero from home HERE
- A poem that speaks to this moment, by Robin Schiff HERE
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater offers free performance video HERE.
- A virtual tour of the Uffizi Galleries HERE.
- Spiritual Practices for the Coronavirus pandemic HERE.
- A virtual tour of the Prado in Madrid HERE.
- And the Louvre HERE.
- Free performance videos from the Berlin Philharmonic HERE.
- Free downloads of artists books HERE.
- Free Yoga classes HERE
- Exquisite Corpse Quarantine Dance HERE
- Good Morning World video by Mikel Martinez HERE
Stay safe! We’ll be back soon!